Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Stephanie's Weekly Spotlight: Catching Up With Kristie



Although our last production, Unnecessary Farce, opens this Wednesday, our season is far from over. You still have eight more opportunities to see either of our other shows, Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike, and Circle Mirror Transformation. And should you choose to see one (or both!), you will be introduced to the lovely Kristie Berger. 

Berger plays Masha in Vanya and Marty in Circle Mirror

Kristie is one of several guest artists in our company this season; she traveled here from Chicago. She has worked in such theaters as The Goodman, Steppenwolf, Victory Gardens, Touchstone, and Center Theater. She is no stranger to the Rep, however. She joined the company for the first time in 2005, where she played Grace in Bus Stop and Priscilla in Resident Alien. We are thrilled to have her with us again! Check out my interview with her below. We discuss the challenges of repertory theatre, and she gives advice to aspiring actors.

SK: What projects have you completed at home in Chicago since you were last with the Nebraska Rep?
KB: Hmm.....let's see. I did a couple of shows, a myriad of staged readings, worked in commercials, voiceovers, industrials, print ads, and did an independent film. I started my own business so I could work from home and have a flexible schedule so I can control the "feast or famine" part of being an actor.

SK: What do you do to prepare before going onstage?
KB: I'm going to answer that as if you mean before a curtain goes up as opposed to all the work I do preparing for a role. I'm anal about checking my props and walking the stage, so I make sure I walk every inch of the stage, open and close every door I go through, sit on every piece of furniture I sit on in the show, check my personal props and make sure everything is where it needs to be prop-wise. I make sure I stretch my body so I'm limber enough to move the way I want. I warm up vocally, usually starting with humming and then singing and hit all the notes I can hit. I like to dance a little to get the blood flowing and my energy up. I also try to yawn quite a bit before going on stage to open up my voice and chest and feel relaxed.

SK: What's the biggest challenge of performing in a repertory setting?
KB: Making sure you're giving 100% to each show, keeping your energy up and committing fully to every rehearsal. Being prepared for each show by knowing your lines, your blocking, and making sure you're the least of the director's problems. And for me, getting enough sleep is always an issue because I replay each scene in my head when I'm trying to go to sleep, trying to figure out how to make moments work that didn't seem to work in rehearsal or performance.

SK: What's the best thing about repertory theatre?
KB: There's no one best thing, but I love the challenge, especially this summer, of working on two such different roles. I love working with all the wonderfully talented and creative actors, directors, designers, stage managers, crew, and all of us coming together and creating this living, breathing show that we get to share with an audience who then adds the energy that makes it all come together. There's nothing like doing shows in rep. It's exciting, challenging, exhausting, exhilarating, and such a treat for an actor to be a part of.

SK: If you weren't an actress, what do you think you would be doing?
KB: I love photography and I would love to drive from coast to coast across the USA, taking side roads and state roads and taking pictures of people, places, and whatever caught my eye, so being a photojournalist is something that really appeals to me -- being a mixture of Margaret Bourke-White and Ansel Adams. At one time, I also thought I'd like to be a forest ranger because I love being outdoors.

SK: Could you share some advice for aspiring actors?
KB: Read and see plays, see movies, watch TV, listen to commercials on the radio, take classes, read books. Take care of yourself -- eat well, exercise, get enough sleep. Don't be on time to auditions or rehearsals -- be early. Be nice to everybody you meet along the way -- interns, production assistants, secretaries, crew. Everyone involved on the job or at an audition is important. This is a small community and word spreads fast about you. If you have to have a day job, try to think of other skills you have that are marketable so that you can support yourself the way you want to. Being an actor can be a difficult way of life. A good support group -- friends, family -- who believe in you who you can turn to when you need them is vital. Research the places where you want to work and the directors you want to work with. Knowledge is power. And don't be afraid to fail. That's the only way to succeed.


Don't miss your chance to see Kristie onstage! Get your tickets to the following performances:

Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike
August 1 and 8 at 7:30pm
July 27 at 2:00pm

Circle Mirror Transformation
July 25, 30, and 31 at 7:30pm
August 9 at 7:30pm
August 3 at 2:00pm

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis