Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Humpday With Howard: Lessons Learned



As our season this summer comes to a close, I would like to take a moment to reflect on some of the biggest things I've learned from working for the Nebraska Repertory Theatre:
Holding a chicken at
Community Crops Garden Gala!


1. Lincoln in the summer is wonderful.
As an out-of-state student at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, I usually go home for summer vacation. This year was the first time I stayed in Lincoln, and it was marvelous. From Jazz in June to the Lincoln Community Crops Garden Gala to the Nebraska Rep's season, there's always something fun going on.


2. There's always room for another cupcake.
Our intermission cupcakes, courtesy of Le Cupcake, were a big hit this summer, but one should always find a home for them. While I always shared with cast and crew, one of the leftovers always managed to find a home in my own stomach.



Music from County Road and some woodwork from
Capital City Carvers during a Fine Arts Fridays performance.
3. More art is always better.
Our Fine Arts Fridays were among my favorite evenings to house manage. Nothing tops wandering around the lobby with guitar music drifting through the air and fine art hanging on the walls or wood sculptures displayed for all to see—all right before the thrill of theatre!
Behind the scenes of our
TV Commercial shoot!

4. Working in the theatre business is awesome.

I've always loved theatre, but having the opportunity to work with the Nebraska Repertory Theatre, with a professional theatre company, has made me realize just how much I love the profession I'll be entering next May after graduation. It's scary, but it'll be more than worth it.



Management Team (plus Rachel and Sara)
at the Company Party.
5. Excellent coworkers make for an excellent time.
I have had the opportunity to work side by side with talented, intelligent, and driven students and professionals all working toward the same goal. It was difficult at times, but the atmosphere of the Rep kept us all in good spirits, and as a result, we were able to create some marvelous theatre.


Many thanks to all who I've worked with this summer: ;patrons, blog readers, and company members. Special shout-out goes to Virginia Smith and Julie Hagemeier in particular for allowing me to explore the management and newsletter editing sides of myself. It's been a wonderful season!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis