Thursday, June 13, 2013

From Taking Tickets to Taking the Stage

----------------------------------------------------------------------
- See more at: http://nrtbehindthecurtain.blogspot.com/2013/06/flatwater-shakespeare-from-youth.html#sthash.AlxQE8Ov.dpuf
This is the first of a series that talks about other creative things our very talented staff are up to.  This is Emma Gruhl, our Company Manager and Audience Development Assistant.  She also is starring as Hero in Flatwater Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing, directed by Becky Key Boesen (who is in NRT's production of Making God Laugh and will be directing one of the Destination shows).  Since part of the goal of the NRT blog is to share behind the scenes stories, I asked Emma to write about how she got involved in Flatwater.   
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- See more at: http://nrtbehindthecurtain.blogspot.com/2013/06/flatwater-shakespeare-from-youth.html#sthash.AlxQE8Ov.dpuThis is the first of a series that talks about other creative things our very talented staff are up to.  This is Emma Gruhl, our Company Manager and Audience Development Assistant.  She also is starring as Hero in Flatwater Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing, directed by Becky Key Boesen (who is in NRT's production of Making God Laugh and will be directing one of the Destination shows).  Since part of the goal of the NRT blog is to share behind the scenes stories, I asked Emma to write about how she got involved in Flatwater.   
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- See more at: http://nrtbehindthecurtain.blogspot.com/2013/06/flatwater-shakespeare-from-youth.html#sthash.AlxQE8Ov.dpuf
And so it begins! Another season with the Nebraska Rep! The management team is in, the actors have been cast, costumes are underway, and everyone is anxiously anticipating the annual welcome party! I know what you’re thinking. “This girl needs to lay off the exclamation points.” I believe an introduction is in order. My name is Emily Martinez and I have worked with the Nebraska Repertory Theater for the past 3 years. It’s home now, and anything less than an exclamation point just won’t do. I began as a Front of House student intern, moved to the Associate Director of Audience Development, and this year I hit the stage as Harriet Smith in our production of “Emma”!

I have been blessed with so many of the opportunities this theater has to offer. In the past, I have learned such things as to how to plan/execute opening night parties, how to interest new audiences, and how to accommodate any guest of the theatre. This year is a whole new ball game! (Yes, I just referenced sports in a blog about the Arts. Ah, the beauty of the theatre... Anything is possible!) I have been cast as Harriet Smith in the Rep’s production of “Emma”! This is my first role as a graduate of the Johnny Carson School of Theater and Film. This is also my first show working with Actor’s Equity, the actor’s union.

My future holds opportunities to work with a new (and I’ve heard, amazing,) director straight out of Chicago, a wonderfully talented cast including two brilliant members of Actor’s Equity (both of whom have taken the Rep stage before), and an exciting British dialect! Speaking of dialects, my first lesson was yesterday with the always lovely, Sasha Dobson. After a strange moment of deja vous, I realized that, sometimes, life truly does come full circle. We met last as “actor and dialect coach” two years ago as I prepped for UNL’s production of “Lady Windermere’s Fan,' my first leading role at UNL. Now we meet again, preparing for my first professional role!

Rehearsals begin on the 17th! I can’t wait to share Jane Austen’s beautiful story! In the words of Harriet, “Something extraordinary has happened, which I am longing to tell!”

1 comment:

ShareThis