Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Clueless: a 20th Century Emma

There are just some things 90's kids understand: scrunchies, Furbies, Nickelodeon when it was good, and Alicia Silverstone in the entertainment classic Clueless. Yes, it's a 1990's staple without which no sleepover would have been complete. The moment the opening credits flash on the screen, the audience is transported into the mystical world of Beverly Hills, where Valley Girls roam in herds and plastic surgeons abound. It's a classic.

But did you know Clueless was inspired by another, even greater classic? That's right, folks, Amy Heckerling's screenplay is based loosely off of Jane Austen's Emma.

It is for this reason (along with the fact that we LOVE hosting events for our friends throughout Lincoln) that the Nebraska Repertory Theatre is partnering with University Program Council and the Ross Media Arts Center to bring a free screening of Clueless to you! Yes, even! Everyone knows the Huskers like to prep for a big event in a great way, and the theatre is no different!

In order to get you pumped for Emma (opening on July 11) and Clueless (showing on July 14 @ 7:00 PM), we wanted to share some memorable quotes from our modern day Emma, Cher, and her Beverly Hills posse*: 
  • Cher: Okay, so you're probably going, "Is this like a Noxzema commercial or what?" But seriously, I actually have a way normal life for a teenage girl.
  • Cher: Searching for a boy in high school is as useless as searching for meaning in a Pauly Shore movie.
  • Travis: I would like to say this. Tardiness is not something you can do on your own. Many, many people contributed to my tardiness. I would like to thank my parents for never giving me a ride to school, the LA city bus driver who took a chance on an unknown kid and last but not least, the wonderful crew from McDonalds who spend hours making those egg McMuffins without which I might never be tardy.
  • Cher: Everything I think and everything I do is wrong. I was wrong about Elton, I was wrong about Christian, and now Josh hated me. It all boiled down to one inevitable conclusion, I was just totally clueless. Oh, and this Josh and Tai thing was wigging me more than anything. I mean, what was my problem? Tai is my pal, I don't begrudge her a boyfriend, I really... Ooh, I wonder if they have that in my size. 
Did you recognize some of these quotes? Do you know even more than we do? (Feel free to comment them in the space available below!) Are you totally excited for Clueless at the Ross and Emma at the Nebraska Rep? Of course you are! And the great news is, it doesn't matter if you're a product of the 90's, 80's, or even the 1960's; we want to see you filling up those seats! So join the Nebraska Rep and UPC at the Ross on July 14, 7:00 pm to see the 20th Century Emma: Clueless!

While you're at it, visit us on specific dates from July 11-August 11 at the Howell Theatre to see the Jane Austen classic rendition of "Emma" come to life on stage!  Would you totally regret that decision? As if!

*Quotes provided by www.imdb.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis