Monday, July 1, 2013

Mannerly Mondays: Children's Etiquette, 19th century vs. 21st century

Think back to the first manners you were taught as a child. Personally, I remember these: be kind to others, respect your elders, keep your hands to yourself, and do not talk when others (especially adults) are talking.  I will admit, I did not always follow these rules; I loved to talk during class and always had a story to tell my neighbor. So, I was often reprimanded by both teachers and my parents, and thus I was taught what was expected of me as a youngster. 

In the 19th century, children were taught many rules we still practice today. As you can image, there were a couple of etiquette rules that we in the modern age might think strange. Here are a few examples:
  • Always greet every family member when entering a room
  • Keep yourself clean and tidy at all times 
  • Always bid your elders and parents goodnight 
  • Remember to wear the appropriate clothing for indoors and outdoors.
I think that it would be exhausting as a child to be expected to be so prim and proper at such a young age. Likewise, it would seem difficult for parents to keep watch over unruly children who might get too dirty or not greet you in the right way. 

Now-a-days parents still expect their children to have manners but go about it in a more casual way. In the 21st century we can expect our children to behave with manners like these:
  • Using words such as "thank you" and "excuse me"
  • Being friendly to the people your parents introduce you to
  • Not raising your voice or screaming at your parents. 
  • Being willing to try different foods and using your napkin 
  • Using your big girl/boy voice when talking to adults instead of mumbling or whining.
I’m just thankful for childhood memories of making mud pies and dancing around the kitchen in my underwear. Thankfully I had great parents that knew where the balance between being polite and being a kid was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis